Monday, August 6, 2012

89 Days: What a Lunk!

What a wonderful weekend. I simply love 3-day weekends. It should be a new standard. I'd gladly work 10-hour days Monday through Thursday to get Fridays off. Can we just agree on this and make it official already?!

Monday started off, regardless of me being ready or not. And let me be honest, I was not. I stayed up last night watching True Blood because it's the greatest show on earth. This season has been a bit excessive in my opinion, but I still can't stop watching. So I got to bed a bit after 11pm, and my alarm went off too soon. I woke up, grabbed my oatmeal, and got into bed and ate it with the lights on, laying down, and my eyes closed. And then I fell back asleep for another half an hour. I had plenty of time to get ready for work still, but man was I tired. This morning at work was back-to-back craziness with patients and I had 5 evals before 1pm. Holy Moly.

I'm sure you all will be surprised/impressed by this. CARING/EMOTIONAL MOMENT #1 But one of my patients this morning has been coming in with sciatica, and she's a 70 something year old hispanic lady - which is awesome because we speak spanglish to each other and that makes me truly happy - but anyway I wanted to work with her on going from sitting to standing, and I asked her to do it with no hands at all. She rocked and rocked and tried about 3 times, couldn't do it. Okay, put your hands on your knees and try. Nope, couldn't do it. Alright use the mat then, we are going for 15. Easy, up she goes. After about 5 she keeps telling me I'm going to do this at home I'm going to practice (which makes me thrilled to hear, she is wonderful) and then she says, okay I'm going to try again. She puts her hands out to the side, takes a deep breath, rocks, and up she goes. Easy. And quick. She had the biggest grin on her face as she did FIFTEEN MORE! Even after I told her to stop, nope she kept doing it. She was so happy and so proud of herself and it made me so incredibly proud and happy for her. We then went on the treadmill and she kept wanting to bump up the speed and was in no pain (which she was when we started, and hadn't walked how she wanted to in months) but I had to cut her off. Cardio Junky :) Kidding. But then she started doing sit to stands again on her own and was so happy she gave me the biggest hug after our session. I loved it. CARING/EMOTIONAL MOMENT #2 My second eval of the morning was a 60-70 or so year old man with diabetes. He lost circulation in his left leg, had his knee replaced, achilles surgery, and was told he either had to go on dialysis or have his leg amputated. He chose the later. Not what I was seeing him for. He also had rotator cuff surgery. He also had gout. He also had cancer. He also has osteoporosis. But that's not what he was there for. He was seeing me for a knee scope, but because of this, and a couple falls recently, he was in a wheel chair and was having difficulty straightening and bending his knee and needed strengthening. Not a problem. But he broke down on me. THREE TIMES. Crying, telling me how depressed he was. And what did I do? Patted that guy on the back, gave him a pep talk, and told him things were going to work out and la la (I'm not giving out all my secrets) and he, too, gave me a hug after leaving. Man! It was a feel good day!

And then I went to the gym and dropped a 45# weight on my thumb. It hurts. And then I was using the smith machine, went to use my legs and do a "power lift" to get the weight over my head, forgot to unlatch that bad boy and slammed it into the notch above it, jamming my wrists. Painful again. And on top of that, the infamous "Lunk Alarm" went off. Now me and Ceej have been waiting EIGHT WEEKS for this bad boy to go off, but not on me! It's Planet Fitness's alarm for "people who grunt, drop weight, or judge." Yes, the sign says that. And it is a blue flashing light and a loud siren like an ambulance. And I set it off. CJ wasn't even there to witness.. I had no one to laugh with. What a miserable time. :) Golly. What a day.

Well, I'm off to eat dinner and hit the bed early. Haven't prepped my charts for tomorrow so I'll be there at 6:15 again. Yay for only 3 more days of work!!

1 comment:

  1. You are wonderful - those patients are so lucky to have you!!!

    ReplyDelete