Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cinnamon Swirl Protein Bread

Okay so I thought I would post this recipe first because it's delicious and nutritious, seriously. It tastes like a cinnamon crunch bagel from Panera/Bread Co.

Cinnamon Swirl Protein Bread
Wet Ingredients:
2 egg whites (1/3c)
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/3 c unsweetened applesauce
1/4 c non fat greek yogurt

Dry Ingredients:
1 1/2 c oat flour (or just regular flour)
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4-1/2 c sugar (I use 1/2 let's be real)

Topping:
1/3 c sugar
2 Tbsp cinnamon

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl
  3. Mix wet ingredients in a slightly larger bowl
  4. Mix topping in a small bowl
  5. Add dry to wet
  6. Take a bread pan, or an 8x8 pan, spray it with EVOO spray
  7. Pour in 1/2 batter, cover with 1/2 the topping
  8. Pour in the rest of the batter, cover with the rest of the topping
  9. Use a knife to swirl it through
  10. Bake it for 25-35 minutes (bread pan will take longer) or until a toothpick comes out clean

Makes 16 slices/servings
1 serving: 55 calories, 1 g fat, 8 g carbs, 5 g protein

Also, be aware that the bread is really dense. And since there are no preservatives it has to be refrigerated. Yum. Now go be healthy :)

4 comments:

  1. Looks awesome!! I'll have to try it out soon :)
    -Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! that's what i did wrong, i didn't refrigerate it. it was nasty after a few days but amazing at first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Anne, I did that the first time I made a lemon raspberry loaf and it got really gross after a while. Then I figured it out :) Happens to the best of us!

      Delete
    2. Anne and/or Susie - one of you should make me some and send it to Chicago. Or tell my baker roommate to get on it. My tummy is grumbling.

      Delete