Thursday, May 31, 2012

Put Your Ego Aside

Someone is reading my blog from Netscape. Seriously? That OS is from like 1990. Are you also using a cell phone the size of Zack Morris'?  For those of you deprived individuals who don't know what I'm talking about, check out this youtube clip of his cell. Awesome. I really shouldn't make fun of my readers,   if your feelings are hurt, well, I'm sorry. But update your computer (we all know you don't have a "smart" phone. It's okay. Those are still "new").

Yesterday was a busy day. After class Ceej and I went to pee in our cups. It was great. We got to see where we will be working, talk to some PTs in the inpatient clinic, and basically have a wonderful time. Then workout time. Yesterday was shoulders and triceps, oh boy, shoulders are my favorite. Sarcastic. Which is clearly why they are too small.

BB Press
Arnold Press
Front Raise
Lateral Raise
Dips
OH Extension ss Triceps Pulldown
30 Pushups

You know you worked hard when you have trouble lifting your arms up to shampoo your hair. Might still be a little dirty but at least I made the effort to shower. Win. So I want to talk about pushups for a minute. If you can do them with good form, GREAT. But chances are you can't. I'd say about 90% of the people (guys) I see in the gym pump out 50 pushups, and maybe the first one looks good. First, keep your head up, looking about a foot or 2 in front of your hands. You want to keep your spine in alignment. This head position keeps the core lengthened and shoulders back, so your chest is in its strongest position to perform the exercise. Don't extend your head and look up, don't tuck your chin - yes you will feel like you are going all the way down, but you aren't so you are cheating. Don't be a cheater. Unless it's on a spelling test and you might not pass 3rd grade. Second, if your hips are sinking faster than your chest, you need to strengthen your lower back. Keep your whole back in alignment. And don't be afraid to do FEWER pushups or to drop to your knees.  Or work on negatives -- keeping GOOD form and going down slowly until you hit the ground. Then get up and repeat it. You have to train your body to recruit all the necessary muscles and use the correct form. Your body is INCREDIBLY smart and will find the easiest way and most efficient way to get from point A to point B. If you let it. You need to focus on doing things to work the proper muscles, otherwise you won't see any muscle gain. If you are embarrassed to drop to your knees or do negatives, do them at home. But really, you should be more concerned with the fact that you are hurting your body, doing them incorrectly, and you look like an idiot acting like you know everything about working out when your form sucks. That goes for all lifting in general. If your form is going down hill, drop the weight, decrease reps, whatever. But all those reps you do with poor form are only helping the Dr. you have to see and the PT he will refer you to. So actually, keep it up. Job security for me. (Kidding, I'd rather you not get hurt, but if you do, in 2 years come see me.)

Last night, I also went to boxing practice with my friend Kenneth. It was great. The technique in boxing needs to be so spot on, but it was seriously awesome to learn something knew. However, I'm not supposed to be doing cardio right now, or increasing my HR too much, and just working on technique had my HR up to 150. Then we did some conditioning, so I'm going to have to talk to them about not conditioning. I'm sure they'll love that. Eh, whatever.

Leg day today, can't wait, it's my favorite day. Seriously. Lift heavy, squat low. If I can't walk tomorrow, even better. Time to focus. Be productive today and make a plan for the weekend. If you plan your cheat meals, beers, then plan your workout for the next morning. This way you won't ruin your whole weekend and you won't have to start over next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment