Thursday, July 5, 2012

My Patriotic Skin

I had such a wonderful Fourth of July! I didn't have to work, and got to spend the day with my Aunt and Uncle down in Davidson. I started my day by hitting the gym at 5:30am. I had Bis, Tris, and Core, and I sure felt it.

Tricep Bench
Standing Cable Curls
Dips
Seated Hammer Curls
Single Arm Tri Cable Extension
Preacher Curls
Plank Roll Outs
Stability Ball Crunches

So since I was there so early, I was one of maybe 6 people in the gym. During my 3rd set of dips, I had 140# stacked on my lap and when I went down on the first rep the top 95# slid back and pinch some of my skin/fat between the plates.. awesome. So I thought about asking for help from a nearby guy, but instead I just wimpered to myself and leaned back until my skin pinched itself out. It hurt like a bitch. And turned a pretty bluish almost immediately..

When I got to Davidson, my Unc is training for a triathalon, so he wanted to swim in the open water for some practice, and I kayaked along side him. It was great.. paddled a few times.. floated around.. paddled to avoid running him over.. floated. Then we all went out on the boat on Lake Norman and I decided I'd forego the sun block in favor of getting all my summer tanning in in that one afternoon, and I am now a nice red, with a tint of bronze. Luckily this red covered up my blue belly pinching bruise.. otherwise I'd be as red-white-and-blue as the wonderful American Flag.. and every other red white and blue flag that is of little importance to me.

Our Fourth concluded with a nice dinner with some of their friends and extended family, and then fireworks on the lake. It was perfect and I had such a wonderful time. Until I got lost in Greensboro at 11:45pm and wanted to smash something ha. But I didn't and I slept in this am until 7:05! It was AMAZING! And I got my 7 hours of sleep in :) I did eat healthy MOST of yesterday, and the rest constituted my 3rd cheat meal. Nothing exciting, but definitely had some sweets.

Today at work I completed my first eval that was 100% my own. It was a 16 year old boy with neck, shoulder, low back, and shin pain. Oh and hamstring tightness. Way to not be complicated, kid. But I did great and was feeling awesome, until I pissed some girl off and she refused to work with me. Ha. She was there for back pain (surprise surprise..) and hadn't shown up to the past 2-3 appointments, doesn't do any of her home program, and won't work with any other therapist. She's a huge complainer of pain and anytime something "hurts" she quits. So I bring her back and am being super wonderful, as usual, and we start going to my favorite machine - the elliptical - (if you don't know me.. that's sarcasm. I absolutely hate the elliptical with every fiber of my body and think it's the most ridiculous, dumb machine ever.. but that's another story) and she goes.. Oh I sprained my ankle this weekend. So I was like okay, how did you do that? Checked it out, no swelling, no bruising, she can't even tell me which way she rolled it, but the second I touch it she cries. So I was like, well does walking hurt it? No not unless I step on it wrong. Alright well why don't we try the elliptical anyway and see how you do and if it hurts we can stop. She gives me the DIRTIEST LOOK ever and says, my ankle is swollen, I cannot do that, anybody can tell it's way more swollen than the other one. I ask to see both ankles, she pulls up her pant legs... umm what? Is one swollen? No. She doesn't even have cankles that could confuse me. So I say.. which one is swollen? And she yells (exaggeration.. but her tone did get sassy) I am a nurse! My ankle is swollen, I can not do that! Fine. Go sit down and I'll get my CI.

That girl's an idiot. And a whiner. And I'm sorry I don't feel bad for you in the slightest and you are never going to get better. My CI told her that too.. because she won't. Some people. Oh, but surprisingly (to some of you.. I'm really nice to my patients though, promise) my CI told me that I did a great job today being compassionate and supportive of this lady who was so discouraged because she couldn't lift her arm past 90 degrees flexion. I had her back and gave her one of my infamous pep talks and viola, I'm one hell of a compassionate PT student. Shocked? Probably..

So, I stayed late tonight at work to get my eval and discharge paperwork done for 3 patients, and hit the gym a bit later tonight. I did legs. Holy Quads.

Leg Press
DB Squats
Lunges
Hamstring Curls
Squat Jumps with a Med Ball

Yup, they were burning. Then I thought it would be a good idea to do my 2nd day of cardio for the week. Incline 15.0 this time, and dropped the speed between 2.8-3.0. My calves tightened up in a hot second. But I finished it.. counting down the seconds, literally.. and that was it. So now it's 10 pm and I still have 1 more meal to eat. Then tomorrow I have a workout or two to do, and I'm headed back to Davidson to relax, house sit, dog sit, and take out the boat/kayak. What a wonderful life. I could get used to not working Wednesdays, with half days Monday and Friday. :) Luxurious .. (that took me about 16 attempts to spell.. slightly ashamed but really, I'm not)

Hope you all had a wonderful celebration of America yesterday, and have an even greater conclusion of your week. And remember, if all you do is bitch and make excuses you'll never get anywhere. One of my famous things I read somewhere: "What is your excuse for not working out/eating right/whatever? Because that's all it is, an excuse." Okay so that's not really a quote if I don't remember what it said.. but you get the idea. Stop making excuses and start being awesome. What little change did you choose to make this first week of July? Is it going well? If yes, build on it. If not, reassess and figure out what's hindering your progress and maybe tackle that problem instead. You can do it. You may not be successful 100% of the time, but as long as you keep at it, eventually you will be successful, and it will no longer be a "problem". Go after it people.

Catch ya on the flip side!


2 comments:

  1. "and every other red white and blue flag that is of little importance to me."

    susan, did you forget that the KU flag is red, white & blue? psh...i thought that would be of GREAT importance to you! wait till i tell uncle jimmy....

    LOVE YOU! YOU KICK BUTT!!! those patients are so lucky to have you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The KU flag is really just Blue and white.. the red is just detail. And plus I was really just thinking country flags.. because then I'd be leaving out Iowa and North Carolina.. and I care of those places too.

      Delete